Let’s go over how to choose your domain name.
Here are Rules For Choosing the Best Domain Name
Brainstorm your top 5 keywords
- Who is your target audience?
- What products/keywords do you want to rank for in google?
- Examples include bluewidgets.com if you sell blue widgets, or if that’s taken I like to use a popular term like bestbluewidgets.com or bluewidgetswin.com… or if you’re a female brand, how about bluewidgetdivas.com lol it’s easy! 🙂
Make Our Domain Name Unique
- Concentrate on creating authority
- It’s not always best to follow trends such as web 2.0 and web apps that all sound like wufeee etc.
- Avoid domains that sounds extremely generic and unbrandable.
Only use dot-com domains (.com)
- Avoid other top level domains (TLDs) like .info, .net, etc…
- If your audience is tech savvy, maybe strange extensions can work for you. Bit.ly for example, is a link shortening service used by webmasters and bloggers all over the world.
- If your audience is not tech savvy, be sure your domain is a dot-com.
- The general public still always types .com if they are trying to reach a website.
Make It Easy To Type
- This is easy – just test it a few times, typing it yourself, and having your friends type it as well.
- Example of an easy to type domain: facebook.com..
- Generally the fewer fingers needed to type, and the shorter it is, the easier to type.
Make it easy to remember
- Include as few words as possible
- Make it catchy/memorable
- Know who you’re targeting -include their biggest desire keyword in the domain
Create Expectations and Deliver On That Promise
- Think about your domain like it’s an ad, so the message is coordinated with what users see on your homepage.
Set Yourself Apart With A Brand
- Creating a brand instead of a generic site helps set yours apart from the rest. In both humans’ eyes and Google.
- You want to have as much authority status as possible.
- Add a phone number (grasshopper.com is a great service)
Avoid Using Hyphens and Numbers
- My-blue-widgets-online-for-cheap.com is the type of domain to use if you want to build out a big network of small sites, to compliment your biggest money site, which is your main business.